Saturday 8 January 2022

San Francesco Saverio, Palermo

 

It is situated in a bustling square in the city centre

This is the Jesuit Church of Palermo (St. Francis Xavier). I had no knowledge of it during my only visit to this great city back in 2002. My memories seem exclusively to be about nightmare driving, impossible  parking and surviving ubiquitous mopeds....and superb food. 

My curiosity has been aroused about  this unusual church by Anthony Blunt's book "Sicilian Baroque"  and in the unlikely event that I ever get back, I will certainly take a look. It is planned on a Greek cross with domed crossing, apsed choir and transepts and 4 chapels on the arms of the cross. This Greek cross plan is unique in Sicily.  It immediately reminds me of Guarini's San Lorenzo in Turin and foreshadows the work of Vittone. 

Angelo Italia (1629-1700) designed and built it, starting in 1684 with near completion in 1709. It was consecrated in 1711 and used for worship from the previous year. The interior decoration probably continued until the 1740s.





This little video is rather slow but allows us to move 
around this unusual interior from our arm chair



Trompe l'oeil effects




No comments:

Post a Comment